What Women Need to Know about "Mommy Makeover" Surgery
Pregnancy can be a happy time and giving birth to a baby is even more reason to celebrate. However, it can completely change a woman’s body in ways they can never imagine. Increasingly, women are going through post-pregnancy plastic surgery to restore their bodies to their pre-pregnancy shape and size. This is popularly called “Mommy Makeover” surgery.
The goal of “Mommy Makeover” surgery is to restore the shape and appearance of a woman’s body after childbearing. A “Mommy Makeover” is performed as a single stage procedure, with surgery that can include the breasts, abdomen, buttocks, genitalia, and/or waist.
This surgery addresses sagging and deflation of the breasts, as well as excess skin and stretch marks on the abdomen. While this surgery is becoming increasingly popular, there are certain things women need to know about “Mommy Makeover” surgery before they opt for it.
- Do not substitute this for a healthy lifestyle: A “Mommy Makeover” is no substitute for the right diet and exercise regimen. You should make sure that you are exercising and eating right both before and after your surgery. This will help ensure that your body is ready for the surgery and also that you recover more quickly and maintain your new figure after the procedure.
- Try to be at or near your ideal weight before surgery: It is important that you are at or close to your ideal weight prior to your “Mommy Makeover” surgery. The operation will go more smoothly if your weight is lower. If you are not happy with your weight, you should wait for a few months before going in for the surgery.
- Understand that your body will change after surgery: Immediately after surgery, your body will swell up. After a few days, this swelling will go down and you will be able to appreciate the improved shape of your new body.
- Take a break after the surgery: As with any surgical procedure, you may experience some level of discomfort immediately afterward. You may need to take anywhere from one to three weeks off work to recover fully from the surgery. If you have other children or household chores to take care of, you may need someone to help you with those. Keep in mind that any discomfort you experience the first few days will significantly decrease over the days following your surgery.
- Be prepared for slight scarring after incisions: The “Mommy Makeover” surgery will need incisions in the areas of the body where the surgery is performed. These incisions may leave a slight scar mark. Your plastic surgeon will make every effort to minimize and conceal the incisions, and will also let you know how to take care of your healing after the surgery in order to minimize or eliminate any incision-related scaring.
- Have reasonable expectations about the outcome: With any surgery, it is important to have reasonable expectations about the outcome. You may not go back to the exact same shape you had pre-pregnancy in your teen years. However, post-surgery, you will have a new shape that is better, firmer, fitter, and looks good in the clothes that you wear. This procedure may also help in restoring your self-confidence. While the surgery may be able to remove skin and lift tissue, it cannot remove cellulite and stretch marks. It also cannot give you the body of an eighteen-year-old.
- Choose the right plastic surgeon: Your plastic surgeon should not just be competent, but should also be board certified. You should have a long talk with him before opting for the procedure, to ensure that you are comfortable. You should ask to see before and after photos of your plastic surgeon’s work as well as get referrals from previous patients.
At the Aesthetic Surgery Centre, you will be served by the best plastic surgeons. All of our plastic surgeons are highly accomplished with years of experience. They will ensure that you are completely comfortable with the prospect of your “Mommy Makeover” surgery and will talk to you at length about the procedure.
These are just some of the things you should know before you opt for “Mommy Makeover” surgery. It is important that you schedule a detailed information session with your plastic surgeon, so he can answer all of your questions.
At the Aesthetic Surgery Centre & MedSpa, we work closely with every patient to prescribe a procedure that will work for her. Our surgeons are not just qualified but are also empathetic in the way they deal with patients and prospective patients. Our staff is caring and committed to the welfare of every patient.
We would be happy to meet with you and answer any questions and address any concerns you may have about your “Mommy Makeover” surgery or any other procedure. So, the next time you’re thinking of getting a plastic surgery procedure done, don’t look further than the Aesthetic Surgery Centre & MedSpa to get optimal results.